Information for Survivors
Follow these steps to file a claim online.
Use your NY.gov ID to submit a claim through our online portal. If you do not have a NY.gov ID, click this link to create a personal account.
When you have a NY.gov ID, you can log in to the portal and submit an application by clicking this link.
After you fill out your application online, you will need to print, sign, and send this Authorization Page to complete the process.
A signed copy of this form lets OVS get information about your claim to determine if you are eligible for compensation.
You can upload a copy of the Authorization Page to your claim on the portal. You can also print and email a photo or scan to [email protected], or you can print and mail a copy to the OVS office listed below.
The NY Crime Victims Legal Help page has more information on how to tell if you are eligible for victim compensation and how to submit claims.
You can also visit the OVS YouTube Channel for help with filling out compensation claims.
Visit OVS Resource Connect.
You can always contact OVS during business hours, Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm, at our contact information below.
File a Claim by Mail
Tradiksyon kreyòl ayisyen (Haitian Creole)
Find Help Near You
Visit OVS Resource Connect to find a Victim Assistance Program near you.
Information for Advocates
The following information is for victim advocates who submit claims on behalf of others.
Use your my.ny.gov business account to access the Victim Service Portal (VSP).
If you do not have a VSP business account, your program director must email [email protected] to request an account be created for you.
When your OVS VSP business account is created, you can log in to the portal and submit compensation applications on behalf of others by clicking this link.
These are additional documents that may be helpful to claimants and advocates when submitting applications for compensation.
Eligibility for Compensation
Victims of crimes that happen in New York State may be eligible to get reimbursed for certain crime-related, out-of-pocket expenses. New York State residents who are victims of terrorism in other countries may also be eligible. Eligibility for compensation depends on the type of crime that occurred, and for certain types of crimes, there may be additional age or disability requirements. Please contact OVS at the information listed at the bottom of this page, or find a Victim Assistance Provider to see if you are eligible for compensation.
Types of Compensation
Eligible victims of crime may receive compensation for certain crime-related, out-of-pocket expenses.
Not all victims of crime will be eligible for all types of compensation. Please contact OVS via the information listed at the bottom of this page to learn more.
This is a list of the types of compensation OVS can provide:
- Crime-related, out-of-pocket medical and counseling expenses
- Repair or replacement of essential personal property lost, damaged, or destroyed as the direct result of a crime (up to $100 for cash or gift card losses per claim; up to $2,500 total per claim)
- Funeral and burial expenses (up to $6,000)
- Relocation, moving, and storage costs (up to $2,500)
- Lost earnings or loss of support (up to $30,000)
- Lost savings of vulnerable elderly or incompetent persons (up to $30,000)
- Transportation for crime-related medical appointments or necessary court appearances
- Employment-related transportation expenses due to a victim’s crime-related physical injury (up to $2,500)
- Crime scene cleanup expenses and/or cost of securing a crime scene (up to $2,500)
- The cost of residing at or utilizing the services of a domestic violence shelter
- Occupational rehabilitation expenses
- Home and vehicle modifications
- Attorney fees for representation before the agency and/or before an appellate court, upon judicial review of the victim’s OVS claim (up to $1,000)
Contact OVS Compensation Division
Contact us by email:
Office of Victim Services - Albany
80 S. Swan Street
Albany, NY 12210-8002
Office of Victim Services - Brooklyn
55 Hanson Place
Brooklyn, NY 11217-1523